Welcome to my Blog

Although I have been involved in the Design Industry for the past 13 years I see myself as more of a "design on a dime" designer. I've been involved in kitchen and bath design, residential additions and remodels, and commercial construction. My experiences have given me insight as to the most cost effective way to achieve the look you are going for. Great design does not have to be expensive, nor does the cost of a product have any bearing on it's quality for it's purpose. I strongly believe in re-purposing products. Through my blog I will share with you some of my tips and findings on my creative journey.



Thursday, November 4, 2010

Add chair rail to break up tall ceilings

 In this picture you see a bare white wall dining room space with new dining room table.  For most this is the reality these days when you purchase a home.  If the home's previous owner was afraid of putting color on the walls.  This narrow yet tall space (20' ceiling ht) might scare some from taking on the painting themselves.  Yes you could hire a professional to paint the entire room floor to ceiling with a warmer color but how do you make the space more intimate and cozy?  A chair rail at 30"-33" around the room can draw the eye down within the space.  Don't stop there consider a darker color on the bottom of the chair rail to ground the room and give it weight while painting a lighter shade above.  If you are doing this yourself you can elect to use a laser level to create a nice straight line to stop the upper paint color at a convenient 8-9' above the floor.  If you may be hiring someone at a later date to continue this color to the ceiling make sure to purchase enough paint ; )
This is the after picture.